Sunday, September 5, 2010

It's in full swing now

Disney trip planning, that is.

I got a lot accomplished today.  I'm drained (still sick, but improving), so today's post will be a merely lazy explanation of my shirt making.

I saw a post on DisBoards, a take-off of the Family Fun Magazine process for painting t-shirts.  I was intrigued, and carefully followed the directions.

I purchased white t-shirts, dutifully washed them in detergent only (no fabric softener), and dried them.  I printed the pattern out, taped it onto the t-shirt form, and put the shirt on the form.  And that's where the photos take off.

There are two "methods" out there ... the Family Fun method employs flour and water made into a paste of mustard consistency, and applied.  However, someone else posted that they had success with Elmer's School Glue (the water soluble type).  I opted for the glue.


Note that I got the pattern far too close to the neckline. I had a second white t-shirt ready to go in my size (for my Epcot transfer that hasn't been printed yet, due to total printer fail). So I re-did it to be further down the shirt.

Anyhow, here's what the shirt looked like when I was done applying the glue:

















I let the glue sit and soak in and dry overnight.  It actually took the better part of the day today to get it to be 100% dry.  This is what it looked like when it was dry:

















Then I busted out the Simply Spray that was purchased at JoAnn's.  The pink that DD picked was quite bright.  So, to temper that, I tried some Caribbean Blue.  Here's what the t-shirts look like with the paint applied:

















I will look at the shirts tomorrow morning, and see if I want to apply more blue.  But I think that, since DD is quite the princess, she'll want more pink than anything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment